12 Jan The Return of the DJ
Party people! DJ fans! How are you?? I hope everything is okay. These are TOUGH times. (Weird, too.) I’m personally “paddling with the current” (I say this a lot lately). Learning a lot as a DJ. And as a dad. And as a human being, really. This pandemic has forced me to look at myself more closely. When I do that, I can’t help but see the wrinkles. Things that need work. Like gratitude. I’m alive! I’m here! (Wrinkled or not.) And darn it all…I’m a DJ! Albeit without a party. And without a dance floor. But moving on!
Betcha didn’t know these things about DJs:
- DJs ain’t all the same! Some DJs get stage fright. (Yikes! Wrong career path!) Other DJs fear the technical stuff. (Ahem! What has two thumbs and freaks out every time he has to upgrade his software? This guy!) And some DJs even fear talking to people. (Definitely NOT this DJ.) We are as different and varied as anything/anyone. Except we all call ourselves DJs.
- DJs can hate their job, too! When you “work,” for money, to live, it’s a J-O-B. You gotta do it. I gotta DJ. And I got three kids, so I gotta DJ. (A lot. Holler at me.) DJing is my J-O-B. And like any J-O-B, it’s the last thing I wanna do sometimes. Even something as cool as DJing. It can get tiring. And repetitive. Breaks are needed. But this job is the job I was put on this earth to do. So after said “breaks,” it’s right back to the breaks!
When COVID hit and my dance floors were taken away, I saw my chance to take that needed break from the breaks. I sat down for family dinner more times in a week than the entire year prior. But then, slowly but surely, pandemic reality set in, coupled with less work keeping me busy. I started bugging out a bit. (What’s this cough? What’s this headache? Why am I tired?) So I came back. But there were no parties nor dance floors to come back to. What I like MOST about being a DJ is connecting with dancers. And the more dancers, the merrier this DJ! The pandemic robbed me of the one thing that I loved most about the career path that I chose. I was meant to be a DJ–this I know by now. But how? Without a dance floor? Without dancers?
- Live streaming! Not even close! Ain’t nothin’ like DJing a party IRL. Live streaming to this DJ = a comedian performing stand-up for himself! But everybody’s doin’ it! D Nice’s “Club Quarantine” is HUGE. DJ Cassidy’s “Pass the Mic” is blowin’ up! So I had to do it. It was okay, but nothing like DJing IRL. (But I could DJ in my underwear.) And it wasn’t too successful. Facebook shut me down. So did Instagram. (D Nice had brunch with Mark Zuckerberg and got a pass.) Twitch rocks, but they’re cracking down, too. (I find it nauseating to look at, anyways.) But then comes Mixcloud. It’s the only platform you can legally DJ on, no shut downs. So that’s where I’ll be DJing. And harassing their support team. And struggling with new equipment. It is what it is. www.mixcloud.com/live/herbertholler.
- Sell merch! I’m on it. “Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!” — Mel Brooks, as Yogurt, “Spaceballs.” www.tinyurl.com/freedomstuff.
- Create playlists! I’m on that, too. Eight so far! Way more to come! (Can’t wait until I get to yacht rock!) www.tinyurl.com/playlistshh.
- Teach a DJ class! Yup! Got an outline put together and everything. How to DJ. How to mix. How to make money DJing. All that! Just need some time to make it all make sense. Stay tuned!
- Write a book? YUP! It’s coming. Page 43 in Word. My math says that’s about 86 pages in book talk. It’s gonna be all about DJing. DJ culture. The art of DJing. The hidden, dangerous, sexy world of DJs HAHAHAH. It’ll be about NONE of those things. You know me better than that.
- Open up a live-music venue?? Sigh. You read that right. Business-plan mode as we speak. More to follow. Because I’m a masochist.
I just read through everything I wrote. The word “robbed” doesn’t sit right. The pandemic “robbed” me of…nothing, when you look at what it’s taken from others. I’m so lucky to be alive. I’m so lucky to be here. And if you really think about it, DJing is a cool job. So I’m lucky to be a DJ, too!